Thursday, November 5, 2009

ollie's er adventure

well it was bound to happen. ollie has been healthy for 15 months so we are lucky he made it this long without getting sick. but he sure has made up for it this week!
sunday afternoon i thought he felt a little warm. i didn't worry too much about it, because he wasn't acting sick and he had his 15 month check-up in the morning, i thought i would ask the dr about it then.
he still felt warm when he woke up and by the time we got to the dr his temp was just over 102. the dr was surprised because he was acting so normal. then she looked in his ear and was even more surprised when she found a nasty ear infection. which is odd because he had not been acting sick at all- no ear tugging, he wasn't fussy, the plane ride didn't even bother him! and he was had played and ran around like usual all weekend.
we went home with antibiotics and orders to rest. that afternoon, he finally started acting like he didn't feel well. maybe it was mental- hearing that he was sick:) he woke up from his nap and just wanted to lay on my lap and didn't want to move for the rest of the day. and if you know ollie, that is not normal.
then it happened around 1 am monday night, one of the most scariest moments of my life. i woke up to ollie convulsing and not responding; having what i thought was a febrile seizure. after it ended, he was pretty of out of it, so we ended up in the er all night to have him checked out to make sure it wasn't something else. it was a long night, but ollie was a trooper and thankfully the dr confirmed my suspicion and said it was most likely a febrile seizure, which is fairly common in kids when they have a fever and not too serious. and by then ollie had a little spunk back in him and had no other symptoms, so our worries began to subside.
so we have been home, trying to rest- ha! keeping an eye on him, giving him tylenol and antibiotics- which is not fun. his fever has gone down, but he is still cranky and not quite back to his energetic self yet.
we are thankful for our normally healthy boy and that it was nothing more serious. we hope and pray he will be running around again soon. we will keep you updated!


STEPH said...

Oh my gosh, Quinn...that is SO scary! I think I would have FREAKED out!
I'm glad he's doing better now though! Keep us updated on your little man.

The Lady of the Holler said...

Glad the little guy's ok!